There was a mistake in my prior post:

Grzegorz Joachimiak [mailto:gjoachim...@wp.pl] wrote
> I think
> piece from so-called ms. Schaffgotsch has a lot of errors. There concern
mainly
> intervals, absence of some letters, and differents of rhythm.

Yes, missing letters and letters on wrong lines. But as for differing
rhythms, I beg to differ. I'd like to believe that Saizenay is a fairly late
and elaborated source as regards rhythms, whereas this tombeau in
Schaffgotsch (PL-Wn 396 cim) was copied from an earlier source as its
notated rhythms and ornaments are kept very simple. I compare it to the
skeleton-like notations in the Rhetorique des Dieux in that its utterly
simple notations are intended to serve as a basis for interpretation.

> But you asked
> about ornamnets. I thought about comma ornaments. In PL-Wn 396 Cim. they
> are not look the same in my opinion. So maybe comma ornament with bigger
> curve (tunny) are appogiaturas (from above) and comma with smaller tunny
are
> mordents (also from above). But there is also a comma with smaller tunny
and
> with crosswise short line. It could be a mordent from below.

I can't see commas of different breadths of stroke (if that is what you
meant to suggest) in the tombeau in PL-Wn 396 cim. Only
- commas on the right of a letter (1st half: bar 4 on beat 1, bar on 6 beats
2 and 4, bar 7 on beats 1and 2 and 4; 2nd half: bar 2 on beat 3, bar 3 on
beat 2-and, bar 4 on beat 1, bar 7 on beats 1 and 3, bar 8 on beat 2-and)
- crosses (1st half: bar 2 on beat 2, bar 5 on beat 3; 2nd half: bar 2 on
beat 3-and, bar 3 on beat 4, bar 6 on beat 4, bar 7 on beats 2 and 4, bar 8
on beast 3)
and half-moons below letters.

Comparison of the concordances shows that the half-moons denote an
appoggiatura from below / chute / fall (e. g. bar 1 on beat 3, or bar 3 on
beat 3). However, Wn-396 has half-moons at a number of places where the
concordances read commas, and that considerably changes the flow of the
line.

What is funny is a place like bar 3 on beat 1. There, Wn 396 reads an
appoggiatura from below on B flat (half-moon below 2i), whereas the
concordances read an appoggiatura from above on B natural (comma on 1g).
That will hardly be a slip of the pen.

You could argue that most of the half-moons are errors. One way of
explaining B flat on 2i instead of B natural on 1g could be that the scribe
intabulated from staff notation. That would or could explain as well those
mistaken ornaments (if they are mistakes), i. e. half-moon where there
should be commas.

But what if these deviations are _not_ mistakes? How is one to play this
tombeau from Wn 396?

> For me is interesting too an
> chordal conclusion in Schaffgotsch ms. In any other sources I did not find
ending
> like here. And this chords have all of component (prime-third-fifth).

Yes, another deviation, indeed. Wn 396 keeps the rhythmic structure, though,
and it is more correct than the other versions in terms of metre in that it
has a dotted crotched in the end, compensating for the initial upbeat,
whereas the concordances have a minim in the end.

Mathias