> So, piece in PL-Wn 396 Cim. is example of interpretation, but we need to
do a
> "source criticism", because we could eliminated errors and we would know
> some specific of interpretation this piece.

Yes, I think so. But I do not think of this piece (or of any French baroque
lute music) in terms of urtext. Wn 396 is a genuine source, as is. As you
said, those half-moons aren't necessarily mistakes.

> (By the way, there is a hermeneutics,
> isn't there?) This is easier when we have concordances. There is harder
when we
> have a unique piece by Anonymous.

Well, yes, there is a kind of hermeneutics. I shouldn't "correct" Pl-Wn 396,
by means of other versions of other versions, as a whole. Some corrections
are obvious (letters on wrong lines, "missing" letters). Others are not so
obvious (ornaments, rhythm).

> I thought about commas from e.g. 1st half: bar 4 on beat 1, bar 7 on beats
2 and
> 4 are not the same as bar 6 on beats 2 and 4, bar 7 on beats 1 (look like
half-
> moons) - there are not single coincedences. Both wrote from the right side
of
> letter. I suppose that scribe intentionally wrote sometimes a bigger
commas
> (like half-moons) and sometimes smaller ornament. And I meant that smaller
> comma could be a mordent and bigger comma could be an appogiatura. Let me
> know if I think incorrectly and if these differentes are only slip of the
pen.

By half-moon I meant to denote a curve below a letter, not a comma on the
right of a letter. And, no, different sizes of commas do not signify
different ornaments IMO. A comma is a comma, be it broad or slim. BTW the
differences between the commas that you mention amount to hundredths of
miliimetres.

Another cup of tea is whether you execute a comma as an appoggiatura or as a
trill (starting on the main note or on the upper auxiliary note). I think
that depends on when you think the piece was composed. Trills starting on
the main note are fine with me in pieces earlier than, say, 1630.

> One more important things in example from Schaffgotsch's manuscript are
> points situated near the letters. I suppose there are mean a fingering to
left
> hand.

Yes, definitely.

> A scribe wrote fingering in difficult places to execute what we can't find
in
> examples from e.g. A-Wn17706 (only singly points),

Well,the tombeau in Wn 396 is fingered througout. As opposed to that, single
dots in Vienna 17706 refer to the index of the right hand.

> So we could see that this
> fingering is useful and probable was wrote by scribe who knew which
fingering is
> necessary to catch an unbroken cantabile and how to play more comfortable.

Let me put it this way: Fingerings make clear the way scribes understood
their phrasings. Not necessarily cantabile or comfortable.

Best,

Mathias