That's very interesting, Martin.

What is the reckoning behind the bass lute in C? How long is that?! It probably sounds very impressive but I think the trios can sound pretty strong in most ranges. I'll agree, the small lute in d is pretty shrill but in a dance situation it would cut through the stomping on hardwood floors, gabbing gossipers and, possibly, the scraping of plates.

I've often wondered if Pacaloni was offering a set of books that could be used in ensembles for _as many as_ three lutes and _also_ (though tacitly) in a variety of tunings and combinations (as did Hume although he was more forethcoming about the variety) ie, he was writing for many possibilities. Many, if not all, can work as duos and the upper parts can even function as solos w/ a little raiding of other parts for divisions or structure. With the addition of the Viaera cittern parts the instrumental possibilities again expand. For us, that expanded yet again w/ the addition of a bass cittern into the mix.

Then yet yet again, the books come about fairly late and they may even have been pirated from his notes or ...who knows? There's a lot of guesswork in Pacaloni and I'm afraid I use it to the advantage of whichever instruments are around. Or we feel like tuning up. Or humans to play them. Or what key we want to be in.

On the subject of the descant lute though. I must confess that I enjoy playing it for solo rep. There's an awful lot that doesn't work on it (haha, Bakfark! Suzanne! Dowland!) but there's plenty that does. And it's so delightfully portable!

best wishes,
Sean