There are a number of technical challenges here becasue MP3 is a
lossy format. So there are holes in the sound. Easiest way to fill in
the sound is with a room simulator, like SIR
You can also use a frequency "exciter" to supply missing harmonics.

MP3s are like frozen food, so you are trying to add some flavor back.

I don't recommend Audacity, Samplitude or Reaper are better
all-round, and can be had for very cheap (I paid 5 euro for a version
of Samplitude that came in a magazine)
Reaper is the best for live recording, as you can drop the computer
and it will somehow save the file most times on the hard disk.

dt