On 28 June 2011 00:43, David Tayler <vidan...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>   David--how high would a silk treble go?

Untill it breaks. Sorry, no idea, I've never put silk on a lute. On my
77cm shamisen a standard silk third (the highest) string goes to d'
and beyond. I've never tested how far beyond. Wat thickness? It has a
number: 13 (nylon equivalent around 0.38mm). I have no idea about
thinner silk strings, not for koto anyway.

0.36mm nylon / g' / 80cm / 415Hz
Should work in theory, but you'd better have spool of spare fishing
line ready. The Kuerschner slide rule says you can take nylon up to f'
(80cm, 415Hz), putting you a whole tone in the danger zone, same goes
for carbon, but steel should just do it.

good luck and let us know

David