You might be interested to know that the The Random House Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged Edition (1968) p. 632, defines "gyno-" as "a learned borrowing from Greek meaning 'female,' 'woman,' used in the formation of compound words [e.g.] gynophore."

Which is American. I checked the Complete Oxford Dictionary on-line and all the sources it quotes seem to be American including the earliest usage. Well - we all know Americans spell things in a funny way..

So it appears you're just insufficiently learned, just like the rest of us.

Maybe.....

Monica