----- Original Message ----- From: "Mathias Roesel" <mathias.roe...@t-online.de>
To: "'Lutelist'" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:25 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Gynocentricityness

Erm, did somebody mention already that gyne in Greek is neither a-declension
nor o-declension? It's gyné, gynaikós, gynaikí, gynaika, and in compounds
it's gynaiko- like in gynecologist, gynecology, gynecological, and
gynecotropism.

Gynoecium (generic term for all kinds of sporophyll) is derived from Latin
gynaeceum, which is derived from Greek gynaikeion.

From a graecist's perspective, gynocentrism is a wrongly built word and
should be replaced by gynecocentrism. The latter is the case at least in
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynecocentrism#Terminology

My two cents.

Mathias

Thanks for that.   It seems I was half right.....

MOnica