James Tyler also was quite a banjo player.  The next LSA Quarterly,
   which is just about finished, will include a lot of peopl'e fond
   memories of him.
   Nancy

     On 7/4/2011 7:16 PM, t...@heartistrymusic.com wrote
     "Well, I come from Stratford-Avon with a lute upon my knee ..."

         Actually, if we 'reverse
         engineer' a lute sufficiently, we'll probably end up with a
     banjo.

     Hey, don't knock it -- the banjo is how I got to the lute in the
     first place! Are there any other banjo/lutenists out there?
     --
     Catherine Arnott Smith, PhD
     Assistant Professor
     School of Library and Information Studies
     University of Wisconsin-Madison
     "Employed professionally to test ideas and propose solutions, to
     deepen knowledge and refresh perspectives"
     [Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson in Jefferson vs. Cuccinelli, quoted in
     editorial, "A Shabby Crusade in Wisconsin", [New York Times, 28 Mar
     2011].
     Music is neither old nor modern: it is either good or bad music,
     and the date at which it was written has no significance whatever.
          (Peter Warlock - The Sackbut - 1926)
     "Be sure you choose what you believe and know why you believe it,
     because if you don't choose your beliefs, you may be certain that
     some belief, and probably not a very creditable one, will choose
     you."

     Robertson Davies, The Manticore (London: Penguin, 1972; pp. 477-478)

   Nancy Carlin Associates
   P.O. Box 6499
   Concord, CA 94524  USA
   phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
   web sites - [2]www.nancycarlinassociates.com
   [3]www.groundsanddivisions.info
   Representing:
   FROM WALES - Crasdant  & Carreg Lafar,  FROM ENGLAND - Jez Lowe & Jez
   Lowe & The Bad Pennies, and now representing EARLY MUSIC - The Venere
   Lute Quartet, The Good Pennyworths & Morrongiello & Young
   Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
   web site - [4]http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org