Since I brought up the reverse engineering thingy, I would simply say
that the process can be historical or non historical, just like any
other aspect of early music performance. It isn't just a series of
specs to solve a musical problem
My instrument was based on research into the music as well as the
organology. It is not a freely invented instrument. I looked at
iconography, bridge holes, lute originals, and so on, and then I
looked at a lot of music. I mean, thousands of pages of music.
The music is historical, and it is important. I'm completely happy
with the result, but I was prepared to be disappointed. If it was a
disaster, I could at least say, well, I tried.
Now that I have played the C Minor Prelude BWV 999 on it, I feel like
I really learned something. It plays perfect. I've tried it on double
strung archlute, I've tried it on baroque lute, and on this
instrument it just seems right. Maybe that is a delusion. On to late
baroque continuo.

This instrument would work perfectly at 370 or even 392, but that
isn't the pitch that people play nowadays. I can't change that, maybe
someday, with unlimited funding.
Most of my work is with modern baroque orchestras.
But I can play this instrument at a higher pitch for professional
work, and then, when I have time, I can restring it at a seriously
low pitch and enjoy the sound.

One thing that this instrument does, is it plays perfectly in F Sharp
minor as well as B Flat major. C sharp Major sounds great, as a V chord.
So I solved this problem that has been bothering me for the last 40 years.
Now I can move on to the next experiment.
dt