It may take few month to achieve good level of stretching. But one
   should work very carefuly and slowly. Every day or (better) few times a
   day regulary. Good warming-up before and massage with some hand-cream
   (I used baby oil) after stretching.

   Dowland and many others are possible even with double courses (I used
   double courses on my video).

   But now I'm working on Bach's allegro
   ( [1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQdL5IQGcaw )and it's almost
   impossible to play it on double courses so I have to use singles.
   Moreover I have in plans to play on lute some pieces from guitar
   repertoire where single courses are strictly necessary.

   I guess (watching videos and photos) that POD uses shorter string
   lenght when plays renaissance lute.