   From: Eugene Kurenko <eugene.kure...@gmail.com>
   To: Edward Mast <nedma...@aol.com>
   Cc: Martin Shepherd <mar...@luteshop.co.uk>; Lute List
   <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thursday, 18 August 2011, 7:41
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Renaissance lute & string length
     I play on 67cm and it's tuned in "g" A=440. It's possible to tune it
     even in "a" A=440.
     2011/8/17 Edward Mast <[1][1]nedma...@aol.com>
       Hello Martin,
           Thank you for your observations on historical lute sizes and
       string lengths.  When you say that the 67cm size is perfect for us,
       I'm not sure if you're talking about a g lute tuned to A=440, or a
       lower tuning.  (Since I play with ensemble players whose
   instruments
       are at A=440, I'm rather tied to that pitch).
             The examples of fingerings you give are interesting.  I can
       particularly see that the example from Waissel (c1c2d3c6, assuming
       he used 2nd finger on c6) might result in more consistent clarity.
       -Ned
     On Aug 17, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Martin Shepherd wrote:
     > Hi All,
     >
     > I don't think there was ever a "norm" for string length.  Lutes
   were
     always made in a variety of sizes, and if our focus today is on solo
     lute music that is not necessarily typical of what happened in the
     past.  Many people sang to the lute, and the guiding principle would
     have been whether the size (therefore pitch) of the lute was suitable
     for your voice.

     > To the extent that there were some more or less standard sizes in
     northern Italy in the the late 16th C, they are 44cm, about 59cm,
   about
     67cm, and about 78 cm (with a putative "bass" of about 88cm rather
     lacking in historical examples).  In terms of the fossil record, the
     67cm size is probably the commonest, but one could debate whether or
     not that was the size most commonly used for solo music.  The 59cm
   and
     67cm sizes are a tone apart, which suggests they may be the sizes
     intended for tone apart duets, for instance, and by implication, also
     suitable for solos (in the Matelart duets, one part is a solo).

     > Modern lutenists have been unduly fixated on the idea that a lute
     must be "in G" and at modern pitch and have therefore gravitated
     towards the 59cm size, whereas historically things were obviously
   much
     more varied.  In fact the 67cm size is perfect for us, as we tend to
   be
     a bit larger than our Renaissance forbears.  Paul O'Dette has very
     small hands and a marvellous technique, and I doubt that "stretches"
     per se figure very largely in his calculations.

     > Just for the record, I have quite small hands (not as small as
   Paul),
     and I can play that Ab chord (f1b2d4b6) on my 67cm lute quite
     comfortably, so I reckon most people can manage that size of lute
     reasonably well.  I know people's hands vary not just in size, but in
     stretch, and I agree with all the notes of caution about not
   straining
     yourself.

     > One interesting thing about historical lute fingerings is how they
     depart from modern "norms".  Just to give a couple of examples, there
     are times when it makes sense to use the first and second finger "the
     wrong way round" when they are required on the same fret (e.g. c1a4c5
     can be played with the first finger on the first course and the
   second
     on the fifth course, as documented by Newsidler); and using one
   finger
     to cover two courses (e.g. a1b2b3d5, h1f3f4d6, f1c2d3e4e5c6; and an
     interesting example from Waissel, c1c2d3c6, where most of us would
   use
     a barre, but he preferred to cover the first two courses with the
   first
     finger.

     > Best wishes,
     >
     > Martin
     >
     > On 10/08/2011 17:58, Edward Mast wrote:
     >> The more I read about the lute during the 16th century, the more
   it
     seems to me that the norm for string length then was closer to 65 cm
     than the 60 cm which seems more favored and common today.  Are we
     (myself included) - who choose the shorter mensur - wimps?  If
     classical guitarists of all shapes and sizes can manage a 64 cm
   mensur,
     should we lutenists not be able to do likewise?  Just wondering . . .