To: "Jerzy Zak" <jurek...@gmail.com>
Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:11 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: diatessaron/diapente

  I was going to ask the same thing!

  But never mind Greek. What does 'diatessaron above the diapente' mean
  in English?

  Rob
  On 30 October 2011 15:26, Jerzy Zak <[1]jurek...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Dear friends,
    In the Supplement to LUTE NEWS 99 there is a second part of Bach
    Suite bwv1006a intabulated by Wilfred Foxe. It is presented here in
    a key of D major, quite unusually. In the Critical Commentary
    Wilfred Foxe explains:
    "The tonality of the original suite is E major, and this has been
    transposed by a major second to D major. The Weiss Sonata 18 in D
    Major provides a useful structural example since the work makes use
    of the diatessaron above the diapente for a work with a high
    tessitura. In other of Weiss's sonatas with a high tessitura, such
    as Le fameaux corsaire -- Sonata 22 in F Major, the diatessaron is
    not employed. The fact that the same exists in BWV 1006a is the
    principal reason for adopting D major in preference to F major."
    I understand what means "diatessaron" and "diapente" in Greek, as
    applied to historical music theory, but still I understand nothing
    from Wilfred's explanation. Can someone enlighten me on this?
    Jurek
    ---