I have the dubious honor of working every day around a lot of razor blades, getting to chip away at lots of materials and even playing with fire, torches and acetone (tho not all at the same time, to OSHA's delight). It can be humbling. On the other hand, ahem, lutenists should learn to respect their hands as much as their instruments. Ie, Be Careful. Build up those Eye-Hand skills that sees the hand as much as the object.

Of course, the inevitable does happen --as it always does. Keep thin plastic band-aids around. I've found I can still play well enough w/ a cut on a left finger tip with a band-aid over it. Burns, too. Try to do without gauze if possible. If the cut is recent, you're at risk of it opening and you may not realize it till you've colorfully decorated the neck and strings --I'd do w/out stringed instruments that day --at least.

Sean