Excellent question, Dick, and one that _should_ come up from time to time.

This drives me up the wall, too. I blame it on nerves. ...and temperature. Dress warmly. It's initially helpful to run your hands under warm water but it really doesn't take the chill out of nervously constricting blood vessels and it's not always possible. Those loose- fitting, wonderful-looking shirts --or any other thin material (esp. synthetics)-- never work for me if it further misdirects blood flow. Make sure your torso is comfortable and maybe even on the warm side. If your cotton teeshirt or other warmy underneath shows and you don't like it, cut a slit from the neck down as necessary and make it your dedicated lute under-tee. Wear two if necessary and then your fancy schmancy shirt. Thick cotton socks and comfy shoes are always my first choice as well because toes mimic hands.

Deportment. If it all possible don't balance on one foot w/ the legs crossed. Both feet flat and stable creates a stronger structure and doesn't add to your body's subconscious sense of uncertainty. Moving to a strap helped me immeasurably. The lute is difficult enough to hold convincingly without having to stay stock still for a loooooong nervous moment. Now I can enjoy a straight back, breath naturally, hold the lute as comfortably as a good beer, see comfortably (head not cocked) and engage my listeners (should I be so lucky) --even ocassionally tap my foot without the lute bobbing up and down. And stand when necessary.

About synthetics, I honestly don't understand the mechanics but if my skin is rebelling against polyester/acrylic/etc anywhere, some part of my skin, somewhere, will sweat. The system's first choice, it seems, are those nervous fingers.

And what Ed Martin wrote ;^)

Sean