Light the end of one with a match. It will be obvious pretty quickly
 if they are gut or synthetic.

My guitar didn't go up in smoke when I tried it so presumably they are genuine. Sigh of relief.

I'm pretty sure that when he wrote, "Light the end one" he meant the strings, not the guitar. But I'm glad it worked out. You probably have a polyester guitar.

That must be why it develops a buzz in the summer which always disappears come September when the wasps swarm in this part of the world.

Monica