De : lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] De la part
de William Samson
Envoyé : samedi 26 novembre 2011 17:41
À : lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Objet : [LUTE] String material and inharmonicity

   Dear Collective Wisdom,
   Up until now I've mostly used nylon for my lute strings and it seems to
   be the case that nylon can't be used below the third course because
   fretted notes will not be true due to the material being too stiff.
   I have successfully used ordinary gut for a 4th course without
   problems. I am also aware that high-twist gut, roped gut and loaded gut
   work well on lower courses, but cost a lot.
   Does anybody know how nylgut, 'new' nylgut and fluorocarbon behave as
   4th course strings? Are any of them satisfactory? Or would wound
   strings be needed?
   Any insights will be gratefully received, as I am planning to re-string
   my 10c lute - I'd like to stick with synthetics for cost reasons, but
   would also like to minimise the use of wound strings as far as
   possible.
   Thanks in advance!
   Bill
   PS  I have also posted this discussion on lutegroup.ning.com -
   apologies for cross posting