Carbon on 4 - no problems.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Samson" <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2011 11:41 AM
Subject: [LUTE] String material and inharmonicity

  Dear Collective Wisdom,
  Up until now I've mostly used nylon for my lute strings and it seems to
  be the case that nylon can't be used below the third course because
  fretted notes will not be true due to the material being too stiff.
  I have successfully used ordinary gut for a 4th course without
  problems. I am also aware that high-twist gut, roped gut and loaded gut
  work well on lower courses, but cost a lot.
  Does anybody know how nylgut, 'new' nylgut and fluorocarbon behave as
  4th course strings? Are any of them satisfactory? Or would wound
  strings be needed?
  Any insights will be gratefully received, as I am planning to re-string
  my 10c lute - I'd like to stick with synthetics for cost reasons, but
  would also like to minimise the use of wound strings as far as
  possible.
  Thanks in advance!
  Bill
  PS  I have also posted this discussion on lutegroup.ning.com -
  apologies for cross posting