     From: Rob MacKillop <robmackil...@gmail.com>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Pulling on your gut harp strings
     To: "Anthony Hind" <agno3ph...@yahoo.com>
     Cc: "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Monday, November 28, 2011, 4:34 AM

   I know these strings well, Anthony. A banjo company repackaged some as
   a set of banjo strings for the 19th-century repertoire, and even called
   them the Rob MacKillop set, which surprised me as we had not discussed
   it. This caused Mimmo to cross me off his Christmas card list, but that
   is another story.
   The strings are good quality, BUT, they are heavily coated to make them
   water resistant. This is OK if you strike the string at a 90 degree
   angle, but for many it gave an audible squeak to each note. Some
   players loved them, some hated them. There were not enough sales, so
   the company stopped supplying them.
   I would not personally use them as lute strings.
   Rob
   www.robmackillop.net
   On 28 Nov 2011, at 10:13, Anthony Hind <[1]agno3ph...@yahoo.com> wrote:
   > Dear Lutenists
   >         Knowing that some of you use KF Harp strings on your
   theorbos, some might also like to try gut harps stings.
   > Indeed, yesterday, I was astonished to discover the existence of
   another small? gut string maker (well much in the way Columbus
   discovered the Americas, as the company has been in existence in
   Norfolk since 1905).
   > The name of the company is Bow brands (did they perhaps originally
   make strings for bows and tennis rackets?); at present company
   director, Carolyn Clarke says they are now specializing in harp
   strings, and also that they are "probably the largest harp string maker
   in the world".
   > %
   > I am no "Royals watcher", but the article on web, also informs me
   that these were the strings used by the "Royal Harpist",  Claire Jones,
   for a recent royal wedding. I did not know there was a royal harpist,
   but It seems that the "Bow brand strings are used by Salvi (which the
   article calls the Stradivarius of harp makers), who in 2006 made the
   Royal Harp to celebrate after Prince Charles reinstated the position of
   Royal Harpist" (perhaps as Charles is Prince of Wales, the harp being a
   symbol of Wales).

   > [2]http://tinyurl.com/d6haflu
   > (You can see a film of their string making next to the article, and
   also photos of string making here:
   > [3]http://tinyurl.com/cgaghfq
   > In relation to the increasing difficulty for gut string makers to
   source good gut due to EU BSE regulations and "red-tape", Carolyn
   Clarke is quoted in a recent Telegraph article as saying, "It's a bit
   stupid. The gut is bleached and varnished in string  making so it poses
   no risk to humans. And why would anyone chew on a harp  string?"
   > [4]http://tinyurl.com/bm2sluu
   > %
   > I hope this company is not having too much difficulty sourcing gut
   (just severe headaches wading through the redtape), but those of you
   who might want to try them out on your theorbos, or indeed your harps,
   might want to do so fairly quickly.