   From: [1]Frank A. Gerbode, M.D.

   To: [2]Art Ness

   Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2011 2:39 PM

   Subject: tab clefs

     I think I may have asked you this before.  If so, apologies.
     I just finished work on [3]El Parnasso, and now I am taking another
     look at Orphenica Lyra with a view to supplying missing data
     (including indicating the red notes with a dot as in Daza) on these
     pieces and have encountered these two marks (attached).
     Can you tell me their significance?  My guess is that the triple
     mark signifies an "F clef" and the double one a "C clef", labeling
     the course they are on in that manner.  I don't know for sure that
     is right, and whether these refer only to the open string or to the
     first melody note on that string.  Or maybe they signify fa and ut
     rather than Fefaut and Cesolfaut.
     Any help you could give would be much appreciated.
     I hope all is well with you. It's been family madness around here --
     three Thanksgiving dinners, followed by several days of Thanksgiving
     leftovers. I'm ready to give up turkey for another year.
     --Sarge
--
Frank A. Gerbode, M.D. ([4]sa...@gerbode.net)
742 Second St East