Dear Ed and Lex,

The Rhétorique has a rather complicate story. In short:
- The Rhétorique is a manuscript on vellum. There are no printed things in it -
the pictures are painted as washed ink drawings (German: lavierte
Tuschzeichnung).
- There was a concept who included painters, goldsmiths, men of letters,
calligraphs and at least one musician (Denis Gaultier).
- The concept was not successfully and completely executed. The whole book is
prepared for the tablature entries - but nearly half of the book doesn't
contain music. One paper sheet with an "Accord" (but not an accord in the
helpful way to tune the basses) was always inserted between the drawing and the
first prepared tablature sheet.
- The musical entries of "Notator A and B" (we have to distinguish between the
text scribes and the musical notators) can not be taken as primary source or
"autographs" from Denis Gaultier.

Some thoughts I published in 1987 (very old and now partially revised) are here
in an English translation:
http://www.accordsnouveaux.ch/de/DownloadD/files/Rhetorique_Englisch.pdf
http://www.accordsnouveaux.ch/de/DownloadD/files/Beispiele%20Rhetorique.pdf
You can compare my text with the "main points" given by David Buch in his
article in the journal of the LSA...

François-Pierre Goy and me are still working on the edition of all works of
Notator B (who worked also in B-Bc FA VI 10, D-Fschneider Ms. 12, F-Pn Rés. Vm7
375, Ms. Pérelle, and S-Smf MMS 23). This edition who includes facsimiles of
D-Fschneider Ms. 12 and S-Smf MMS 23 and all 33 pieces in parallel readings in
Fronimo will finally appear in May at the Festival der Laute in Vienna.

In the next week I will see the original in Berlin to solve some riddles of the
work process on that manuscript.

Andreas