Consider that EGBaron, a journeyman lute personality, considered himself
nothing less that an Orpheus. And you can only imagine SLW's opinion of himself. And that is the mindset of the whole lutenism, an entirely apollinian culture.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Fryer" <sjfr...@telus.net>
Cc: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:55 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Some history questions

On 01/02/2012 6:08 PM, Adam Olsen wrote:

Would baroque lute music have been played during a ball or masquerade?
  I often imagine it when I listen to the music, but it occurred to me
that the lute may have been too quiet for it.
While I can't speak directly for Baroque lute, certainly in the Renaissance the lute was used to accompany dancing. There is plenty of evidence for it - dance instruction manuals with lute tablature accompaniments and paintings of dancing with lute (and/or other instruments) providing the music.

I think that it tended to be a quieter time generally, so the lute wasn't out of step with the times.

Roman once wrote here on the same question "...they did but they shouldn't have!"

Stephen Fryer