>    >Puritan? 1670s? With that Unreconstructed Good Time Boy Charles II
>    back on the throne since 1660? I don't think so! Besides 'Puritanism'
>    is a much misunderstood concept, thanks to >the 19th century.

IIRC the initial question was about the probability of baroque lute music
being played during a ball.

One approach considers the matter-of-factness: In a house where there was
but one lute -- of course, they would use it for solo music as well as for
dancing.

Another considers the appropriateness: Lutes for dancing? Never shall you
mention …!

IMO one aspect has so far been unmentioned, i. e. the rise of the theorbo
and the guitar. Prints by Robert Ballard (1611, 1614) or Pierre Gaultier
(1638) contain intabulations of ballets that had before been performed on
stage by court orchestras for real dancing. That can be construed as
suggesting that real dancing at home possibly was accompanied with lutes as
late as, say, 1640.

When the d-minor lute came into more frequent use, however, there seems to
have been a parting of the ways. Lutes were more and more confined to solo
music, including all those stylized courantes and allemandes with uneven
numbers of measures, whereas music on stage and real dancing in public was
accompanied with the theorbo and/or the guitar, playing in a band. Just a
thought …

Mathias