---- Original Message -----

   From: [1]Ron Andrico

   To: [2]Monica Hall

   Cc: [3]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu

   Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 4:29 PM

   Subject: RE: [LUTE] Re: Saturday quotes

   Thanks, Monica.  I have to say that the bulk of the book is something
   like a big sloppy Valentine to Christopher Page and Gothic Voices.
   While I am also a great admirer of Page's work, I am a little incensed
   that a reviewer admits to deliberately panning commercial recordings
   with the intent to advance one point of view.  Ethics?
   RA

   Yes!   that is indefensible.   It seems to me that the "Early Music"
   movement has always been about the instruments - the more unusual or
   exotic the better.   And I suppose Gothic Voices etc. are a kind of
   re-action to the David Munrow approach.

   But - instruments must surely have been involved in all sorts of music
   making.  Otherwise why do they feature so prominently in paintings,
   church sculpture, stained galss windows and the like.   It is all a
   matter of degree. You dont need an orchestra but a harp or lute seems
   appropriate in most circumstances.

   Best

   Monica