The way it's described here, it sounds like a vast conspiracy to
   discredit instrumental medieval music. If so, let's be thankful it was
   one perpetrated by tweedy music critics for a very serious magazine
   with a limited readership, which I suppose is why Sequentia, the Boston
   Camerata, Ensemble PAN, Ensemble Alcatraz, the Dufay Collective,
   Ensemble Unicorn and many, many others have since done wonderful, if
   sometimes a little weird, work and instrumental students at early music
   programs still spend at least a semester hawanging on musty old
   hurdy-gurdies, vielles and gothic harps, struggling through Ars
   Subtilior music while their singer friends mispronounce old French or
   fail to get the rhythms of Landini ballate. To think it might all have
   been brought to nought, but thank goodness we mostly rely on critics
   for nice quotes to put in our press packets, grouse a little bit when
   they savage us, and otherwise view most of them as grumpy eunuchs.
   Regarding the ethics of music criticism, I'd be interested to see if we
   could have a bit more conflict of interest and get more serious
   musicians, hopefully better writers than I, to write criticism, and if
   it would make the field more vibrant. Nobody faults Schumann or
   Berlioz, two of the most readable critics of the nineteenth century,
   for their conflicts of interest, do they? Schumann had it right about
   Chopin and Brahms, huh?
   > Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 12:35:21 -0800
   > To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > From: howardpos...@ca.rr.com
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Saturday quotes
   >

   > On Feb 5, 2012, at 8:29 AM, Ron Andrico wrote:
   >
   > > While I am also a great admirer of Page's work, I am a little
   incensed
   > > that a reviewer admits to deliberately panning commercial
   recordings
   > > with the intent to advance one point of view. Ethics?
   >
   > Would you be incensed by a reviewer who panned Herbert von Karajan's
   recordings of Bach because the critic's "one point of view" was that
   Bach should be played with attention to historical performance
   practice? Or a reviewer who admitted that in the 1970's he had
   deliberately conveyed the message to buy the period-instrument
   recordings of Bach's cantatas by Harnoncourt and Leonhardt and "leave
   the rest" (modern-instrument performances by Richter and Rilling and
   whoever)?

   > Or, closer to home on this list, is it wrong for a critic to opine
   that lute recordings on instruments built like modern guitars are not
   the ones to buy?

   > Critics are paid to convey information and make judgments. If a
   critic writing for a publication about early music has reached a
   conclusion that voices-only performance is "correct," and that any
   instruments make it as wrong as Karajan's Brandenburgs, it isn't
   unethical for that viewpoint to inform his writing--indeed, how could
   he possibly put it aside and pretend he didn't think the performances
   with instruments are historically wrong (just as you might conclude, if
   the instruments were saxophones)? You might find his viewpoint wrong or
   overly limited, and maybe you're right. But it isn't unethical for a
   critic to approach his work with his own ideas.

   > The potential ethical problems stem from the small-world nature of
   the early music community, where the prominent performers and scholars
   all know each other, and cronyism, or the reverse, is always a problem.
   When I was review editor for the LSA quarterly, I told some folks (all
   of them on this list, I think) that there were ethical problems because
   they were performers writing about other performers or publishers
   writing about other publishers ("competition" in common parlance),
   making for inherent conflict of interest. I don't think anyone had ever
   brought it up before, and while the (soon-to-be former) reviewers
   themselves seemed to understand, or at least accepted, my insistence on
   avoiding systemic conflict of interest, the responses I got from the
   LSA officialdom was much the same response I would have gotten if I'd
   said only Martians could write reviews for the Q. And maybe they were
   right: perhaps if the community is small enough, you have to put up
   with conflic!