Any  99cent store or hardware/kitchen place sells inexpensive rolls of
   rubberized shelf liners in a variety of colors including black.
   Leah

   On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Roman Turovsky
   <[1]r.turov...@gmail.com> wrote:

     loop your strap around a peg on the treble side of the pegbox.
     RT
     ----- Original Message ----- From: "Adam Olsen"
     <[2]arol...@gmail.com>
     To: "Lute List" <[3]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:20 AM
     Subject: [LUTE] Rubber mat

      Hi folks
      So I finally received my first lute yesterday.  I've been trying to
      practice out of the beginning of the baroque lute companion, and am
      having a bit if trouble keeping the lute in position on my lap.
      I tried the ribbon method, where I tie it to the peg box, wrap it
      around my back and sit on it.  This keeps the neck in position, but
     the
      lute still wants to slip out forward away from my chest.
      Anyone have any ideas for where I could get a sheet of rubber to
     put in
      my lap?  I'd really rather use that instead of leather if I can get
      away with it.
      Many thanks!
      Adam