On 03/27/2012 08:42 AM, Herbert Ward wrote:

I pronounce it the same way as I pronounce "quesadilla" or "que." In other words, like the English word "day." I don't insert a "w" sound in there, but the Spanish I learned (last year) was Mexican Spanish (and I may not be pronouncing that correctly). So, I pronounce it "Fayn-yah-na."

I wouldn't worry too much about the 16th century pronunciation: they're all dead.

I'm sure a native Spanish ( Castilian) speaker will chime in here with the correct pronunciation, but I didn't want to see you on edge with anticipation.

Regards,

Garry

Is Fuenllana pronunced "fwayn-YANnah" in analogy to the modern Spanish word
"fue"?

Or is it pronounced "foo-en-YANnah", which I've heard more often?

Do we know much about pronunciation in the 16th centurey Spain?