I agree with David that string span and spacing are extremely important, and, as one about to have a lute built, I am wondering whether it would help to send the luthier a tracing of my right and left hands to help him calculate span and spacing correctly. I also agree with Ned that instrument size is very important. I have a 13-course that has a wonderfully warm tone when tuned to A=392, but it is too large for me, and the neck is too heavy, and I can't play it very long without developing neck, shoulder, and back problems. The shoe analogy is an excellent one. Perhaps when there was a luthier in every town, it was much easier to get a good fit, but I live in Texas, and the luthier who will build my next lute (Cezar Mateus) lives in New Jersey.

-----Original Message----- From: David Tayler
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 4:27 PM
To: lute
Subject: [LUTE] Re: What makes a good lute?

  Ninety percent of the lutes I see are set up wrong and are also the
  wrong size for the person playing. I doubt that this will change
  anytime soon: once someone buys the wrong size instrument, they either
  keep it or trade it in for another one that is the wrong size.
  So I would rate size and setup as the number one issue, based on my
  experience that the player will have to go through a very long
  retraining period
  after learning on a lute that is the wrong size. Why pedal backwards?
  Of the setup issues, the number one issue is the span and spacing.
  Without the right span and spacing, which reconciles two numbers, the
  size of the hand (and fingers) and the rules which govern the span and
  spacing of strings. Without these two numbers in balance, it is
  impossible, or very difficult to make a good sound.
  When these numbers are in balance, it is easy to make a good sound; in
  fact, it is difficult to make a bad sound. No one would wear size 4 or
  size 11 shoes if they are a size 9, and yet, that is precisely what
  happens. Sadly, people are rarely fitted to the lute, even though the
  lute is from the age of "custom made". Equally sadly, most people do
  not understand the basic physics of twang, thwack and pluck, which
  involves some simple experiments with a special bridge and nut that are
  universally adjustable. Generally speaking, and I mean VERY generally,
  the plucking-point spacing is wrong, that is, the place where you
  actually pluck the string, and it is almost always too narrow. However,
  it is the ratio of the bridge to nut, factoring the string length, and
  figured at YOUR plucking point that gives numbers for the "thou shalt
  not buzz" dimensions. Empirically, anyone can see that the spacing is
  different at any point on the string.
  A player with years of experience can give you some advice, after
  watching you play, about the setup. You may have to compromise somewhat
  on the overall span, or use a sliding scale so that the treble has more
  room.
  After these two biggies, there is a seemingly endless list of features,
  all of which are important. And here you will need some experience to
  guide you.
  However, I would add that most lutes made nowadays are not copies of
  originals. They are rescaled, resized, rebarred, rebridged, reglued,
  revarnished.
  Available is everything: everything-except-original.
  Now, you may want that. Personally, I think everyone needs a reality
  check instrument that is a copy of an original. Otherwise, it is just a
  guitar, basically, with wonky pegs.
  Since you asked about sound in your list, it is no fun playing a
  monochromatic instrument of any kind, but that is just a personal
  preference. I would say most lutes made today lean towards
  monochromatic.
  Main thing is to make a good sound. If you aren't making a beautiful
  sound, it isn't you: your lute is set up wrong, is the wrong size, or
  both.
  Lute players may think that their feet are the wrong size, but when you
  think about it, this cannot be the case. Everyone is different, and the
  instrument must fit.
  My teacher told me that you don't choose a lute, it chooses you. Maybe
  that is true.
  dt