   From: Anthony Hart <resea...@monsignor-reggio.com>
   To: lute <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Wed, April 11, 2012 2:51:18 AM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Lute size and set-up was Re: What makes a good
   lute?
   whilst on the subject of lute set up, I have a question of the action
   of
   the bass courses of a 14c Liuto attiorbato. I have found several
   suggestions concerning the ideal height of the bass strings above the
   finger board.
   1. The strings should be about 5mm at the lower nut.
   2. The strings should be in the same plane as the stopped strings.
   From observation from drawings:
   1. A drawing of the 1639 Sellas instrument (upon which my instrument is
   based)by Robert Lundberg the top nut appears to be slightly lower than
   the
   line of the finger board. Also the upper nut appears to have a slight
   curve, as with a violin bridge, making the lowest course slightly lower
   than the preceding ones.
   2. A drawing of the Railich instrument shows the line of the bass
   courses
   higher than the stopped ones.
   These observations are based on the thumbnail views from the
   appropriate
   websites so exact measurements not possible.
   Any other ideas?
   Many thanks
   Anthony
   >    David,
   >    Clearly the overall size of an instrument and things like string
   spacing are relevant to the ease of playing. But if a player
   struggles
   >    with a particular size and/or specification of lute, before
   jumping
   >    erroneous conclusions it's important to see if the player's
   posture
   and
   >    hand position/technique are not the real culprits.
   >    Regarding the 'wrong' size instrument: a player may seem to
   struggle
   with a larger instrument than that they are used to simply because
   they
   >    are holding it an unsuitable/inappropriate manner - rather that
   their
   arms/hands are intrinsically incapable of the stretch required.  For
   example, if a player holds a large lute instrument as a modern
   'classical' guitar (ie cradled low down in the lap and at a
   relatively
   >    low angle to the ground) they may find left arm stretch
   difficulties
   which can readily be overcome by adopting a posture with the
   instrument
   >    resting on the right thigh (as often seen in early
   representations).
   This can result in the instrument now being held some 10/15cm to the
   player's right and bringing the nut a similar distance closer to the
   left hand and so stretches which had previously seemed difficult may
   be
   >    more readily achieved. Holding a large instrument in a more
   upright
   position also helps since it better fits with the
   >    arm/body geometry and increases the effective stretch of the left
   arm.
   >    The end result of all this is to give up to 15cm extra left arm
   stretch
   >    and thus increasing the effective left arm stretch from, say, 76cm
   string length to around 90cm.
   >    Similarly, if a player is playing well up to the rose rather than
   close
   >    to the bridge, the natural tapering of string separation from
   bridge
   >    nut will result in a small, but noticeable, reduction in string
   separation at the actual plucking point which is not the fault of the
   string spacing at the bridge but of the player's own technique.
   Finally, specifically with regard to the theorbo, as Lynda Sayce
   points out ([1][1]http://www.theorbo.com/Theorbo/Theorbo.htm), if a
   theorbo player is trying to employ ordinary lute fingered chords,
   rather than those appropriate to the theorbo, they may also struggle.
   In short, before blaming an instrument's size and specification the
   player should look to themselves first and ensure the problem isn't
   with their own posture and technique.
   >    Martyn
   >    --- On Mon, 9/4/12, David Tayler <[2]vidan...@sbcglobal.net>
   wrote:
   >      From: David Tayler <[3]vidan...@sbcglobal.net>
   >      Subject: [LUTE] Re: What makes a good lute?
   >      To: "lute" <[4]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   >      Date: Monday, 9 April, 2012, 22:27
   >      Ninety percent of the lutes I see are set up wrong and are also
   the
   >      wrong size for the person playing. I doubt that this will change
   anytime soon: once someone buys the wrong size instrument, they
   >    either
   >      keep it or trade it in for another one that is the wrong size.
   So
   I would rate size and setup as the number one issue, based on
   my
   >      experience that the player will have to go through a very long
   retraining period
   >      after learning on a lute that is the wrong size. Why pedal
   >    backwards?
   >      Of the setup issues, the number one issue is the span and
   spacing.
   Without the right span and spacing, which reconciles two numbers,
   >    the
   >      size of the hand (and fingers) and the rules which govern the
   span
   >    and
   >      spacing of strings. Without these two numbers in balance, it is
   impossible, or very difficult to make a good sound.
   >      When these numbers are in balance, it is easy to make a good
   sound;
   >    in
   >      fact, it is difficult to make a bad sound. No one would wear
   size
   4
   >    or
   >      size 11 shoes if they are a size 9, and yet, that is precisely
   what
   >      happens. Sadly, people are rarely fitted to the lute, even
   though
   >    the
   >      lute is from the age of "custom made". Equally sadly, most
   people
   do
   >      not understand the basic physics of twang, thwack and pluck,
   which
   involves some simple experiments with a special bridge and nut
   that
   >    are
   >      universally adjustable. Generally speaking, and I mean VERY
   >    generally,
   >      the plucking-point spacing is wrong, that is, the place where
   you
   actually pluck the string, and it is almost always too narrow.
   >    However,
   >      it is the ratio of the bridge to nut, factoring the string
   length,
   >    and
   >      figured at YOUR plucking point that gives numbers for the "thou
   >    shalt
   >      not buzz" dimensions. Empirically, anyone can see that the
   spacing
   >    is
   >      different at any point on the string.
   >      A player with years of experience can give you some advice,
   after
   watching you play, about the setup. You may have to compromise
   >    somewhat
   >      on the overall span, or use a sliding scale so that the treble
   has
   >    more
   >      room.
   >      After these two biggies, there is a seemingly endless list of
   >    features,
   >      all of which are important. And here you will need some
   experience
   >      guide you.
   >      However, I would add that most lutes made nowadays are not
   copies
   of
   >      originals. They are rescaled, resized, rebarred, rebridged,
   reglued,
   >      revarnished.
   >      Available is everything: everything-except-original.
   >      Now, you may want that. Personally, I think everyone needs a
   reality
   >      check instrument that is a copy of an original. Otherwise, it is
   >    just a
   >      guitar, basically, with wonky pegs.
   >      Since you asked about sound in your list, it is no fun playing a
   monochromatic instrument of any kind, but that is just a personal
   preference. I would say most lutes made today lean towards
   monochromatic.
   >      Main thing is to make a good sound. If you aren't making a
   beautiful
   >      sound, it isn't you: your lute is set up wrong, is the wrong
   size,
   >    or
   >      both.
   >      Lute players may think that their feet are the wrong size, but
   when
   >    you
   >      think about it, this cannot be the case. Everyone is different,
   and
   >    the
   >      instrument must fit.
   >      My teacher told me that you don't choose a lute, it chooses you.
   >    Maybe
   >      that is true.
   >      dt

   been
   chatting with Rob about this and various points have emerged
   I'd
   [5][8]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/%7Ewbc/lute-admin/index.html
   [10]http://us.mc817.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=willsam...@yahoo.co.uk
   [11]http://us.mc817.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   4. [12]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html
   >    5. [13]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html
   Anthony
   Hart MSc, LLCM,ALCM.
   Musicologist and Independent Researcher
   Highrise Court 'B', Apt 2, Tigne' Street, Sliema, SLM3174, MALTA
   Tel: +356 27014791; Mob: +356 9944 9552.
   e-mail: [14]resea...@antoninoreggio.com;
   web: www.monsignor-reggio.com