For me, the only reason is economic; to get two strings for the price of one
(esp. high priced gut), If the nut is properly round and smooth, the grooves as
well, no reason to create even more trouble on an already troublesome aspect of
lute maintenance. There may be more detailed discussion of this in the archives.

Dan