I have tried shorter
 ends and pulling them tight with pliers,

I should've been clearer here. If you're making you 5th fret where the 4th or "third-and-a-halfth" fret would be you should only need enough tension to keep the string taught while burning it. I have about 5 lbs of tension on the smaller frets but the large ones may call for a bit more. Bake the burn about a quarter inch from the knot and then sculpt that nub down w/ your hot knife or iron. Then it can't pass through the knot and you should be good to slide it into place.

Sean

ps I think Dover publications has a nice book for whips and servings to decorate a trumpet for the Bach lute suites. For that a very small serving mallet is essential.