Your post explains why the 8 course lute was developed, or as I like to call
it, the "Double 7" . I have never found a string material of any sort that
would stand up to a scordatura range exceeding a whole tone. Even going for a
compromise tension (say an ideal E/E-flat) would still be unsatisfactory for
me, but you could try tweaking that one. Some strange remedies to this
conundrum have been attempted- including a mechanical kind of hook through the
neck to pull down the low D at the 3rd fret. Only on some old, heavily built
compromise lutes.

As a beginner, I would suggest having a 7th course dedicated to F. Unless you
come to the lute with say, an advanced guitar left hand it will take a
considerable amount of time & practice before you are able to fluently finger a
7th course- much 6 course music is already as difficult as it gets in lute land
anyway. Many beginners find 8 courses confusing, and besides, the historic 8
course lute was a somewhat short lived version on the end-of-the-Renaissance
lute's march to the 10 course version & beyond. When you achieve left hand
mastery, switching out the low F to a low D will make for a 7th course that is
more accessible anyway, (and a very widespread historic set-up) and not having
to jump over a low F. Some players will reverse the 2 courses on an 8 course
lute for this purpose.

But, again, for many of us, the 8 course lute just solves more problems than it
creates. If I had my druthers and more money, space, and time than I deserve I
would own both 7 course and  9 course lutes (miss that low C in some favorite
Holborne & R. Johnson pieces) for covering just the late Renaissance,
Elizabethan/post Elizabethan repertoire.

 Good luck with this one. We have dealt with this one before on the list.

Dan