On 2 May 2012 17:39, Joshua Burkholder <burkholder.jos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that some people re-tune the 7th course from D to F as needed, but on
> my rental lute this seems quite impossible. The diapason is stung to F and if
> I drop it down to D it becomes far too wobbly and flabby.

Hi Joshua, welcome to lute café

You want a 7-course? Stick with it, I think they are superior
instruments (I play - among far too many other stringy things - 6, 8
and 10-course Renaissance lutes and are the living embodiment of the
definition of a lute player: an instrumentalist always one instrument
short). My experience is: less string makes better instruments
(shorter bridge gives more freedom to the top / a limited range is
easier for a lute body and/or luthier to handle  ...?).
I think you'll be fine with a 7th course tuned to F. If you need the
occasional low D, you'll transpose up an octave or will accept the
absence. If you'll have periods of playing lots of low D music, you'll
change strings. If it's the occasional piece, you'll retune and will
learn to live with a flabby string (give the strings some days to
settle, give yourself some days to come to terms with the low tension,
adapt your technique: play close to the bridge, change the angle of
your thumb). You'd be surprised at the range of string tensions
amongst lute players (I am, anyway, whenever I pick up an instrument
form somebody else), so if there's other people that can play on
ridiculously low/high tensions, you can for the occasional piece.
anyway, choose a string diameter for E or E-flat, and you'll be double
safe. I tune the low D on my 8-course to C without trouble. The whole
8-course used to go up and down between 415 to 440 before I had the
luxury of seperate 415 and 440 lutes. My 6-course still goes up and
down a whole tone (g or a, whatever is needed) occasionally with the
same strings even. It takes a little time for the
strings/instrument/me to adjust, but it works.

David - a 7-course, hmm, on my wish list for sure