Joshua,

There's a lifetime's worth of music in 16th century. If you put on one more course to accomodate Dowland more power to you. Me? I guess I've been shedding courses over my years at it having discovered the renaissance guitar lately. (Mrs Smith, who doesn't share our love of nuance, would prefer I simply shed lutes.) Except for the guitar everything I pick up now has 6 courses. The variety in size while keeping the same rigging is curiously reassuring and does wonders for my hand work. I don't have to deal with the thumb in/out question, either. Yay!

It's an interesting concept that as lute time moved forward they added more courses to get the music they wanted but the composers/ intabulators previous were no less ingenious in getting more out of less --and called on their players to reflect as much diversity. You'll find that your talents are no less taxed! It's fascinating to see what you can bring back to the lute in your chosen period by moving laterally around a particular year rather than moving forward and backward in time. Personally, I have a hard time of jumping around in time periods. There are so many here on this list that do that much better.

I've seen some folks that like to give a concert that goes from 1500 to 1700. Some prefer a snapshot of a particular period or even one book. To each his own said the farmer as he kissed the cow.

Sean