And then there's Hagen! Almost every ascending arpeggio turns around and
descends. Lots of a-m-i a-m-i going down.   r

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On
Behalf Of Daniel Winheld
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:30 PM
To: Bernd Haegemann
Cc: lute list
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Arpeggio question

Interesting RH problems arise in the "harp" style of one-note-per string
playing so common in chordal tuned lutes playing 18th century music.
(i.e., Weiss, Bach, d-minor lute.)

I have had to do a lot of RH retraining to cope. Background has been
Renaissance lute and much earlier, classical guitar.

Your bottom example illustrates the problem perfectly as far as it goes;
but without the actual music- what note sequences on which strings, fret
positions, tempi, etc. -an actual fingering solution on line here is
impossible. And there is no one formula. Train your i-m-a fingers to not
be locked in closed arpeggio patterns such as one encounters in
Classical Guitar pedagogy (Carcassi et. al.) and learn to change
strings/courses with each alternate finger when ascending or descending,
and also slip-slide that index finger as needed when descending. Much
harder to describe than to show or do.

Here's a try: Rest thumb on 10 or 11 and forget about it. Unglue your
pinky from the soundboard for a few minutes. Now, pluck courses-
ascending- 6, 5, 4, w/ i, m, a. While slowly starting to pluck 4/w a,
reach i down to 3rd course, being ready to pluck that in (slow!) even
tempo after 4- and m & a fingers have already planted on courses 1 and
2.

That's one practice pattern. Also- maybe more important- do it with just
i-m, in three moves. (Or just four courses in two moves.) That is just
ascending. Do it in reverse to descend. For a 4 note descension, one can
also let i slip-slide from the 3rd note to the 4th. Sometimes I will
slide the index finger, controlled & in tempo, over more strings.

Next step, bring the thumb into play. It can do the ascending motion by
going the opposite way of the index finger- a controlled,
string-by-string "strum", and seamless transition to i, m, a for last
three notes/strings. Suggested practice piece- the 1st movement, Prelude
of the C major suite by Conradi. For this, put the little finger back
down casually on the soundboard when it feels right. Or not, if you can
maintain hand position, control tone, and keep from accumulating tension
in wrist and forearm. Mine touches down frequently, comes up a lot.
Especially on the 13 course lute.

Also, study the early Baroque Italian masters- Kapsberger, Piccinini,
et. al. Lute, archlute, theorbo. Very interesting arpeggio patterns. If
you have significant Classical Guitar training in your background, you
will need to learn to de-emphasize use of the 3rd finger. And then learn
how to put it back in, when appropriate & necessary.