Thanks, David. I had not managed to recall E J Dobson, but you have, so thanks for that too. Incidentally, I think it was also he who demystified for us (through LPM publications) the pronunciation of 16th C French, an especially important task as in that case the spellings tend to obscure the pronunciation rather than otherwise.

I would note as an aside that "modern" (20th C) English is a bugger of a language to sing, as has been noted many times. As a native speaker, it has so many problems of trying not to sound "posh" - and these problems surely get worse when non-native speakers try to sing English songs. Frenchman singing Warlock or Finzi, anyone?

All the best,

Martin