Ron and Donna, thanks for this post.
Although it is about recorded music in general, I don't consider it
to be "off topic", because professional lute players must make and
sell recordings.  Although sales of early music are probably not
affected as much now as, say, Cold Play, by what is happening in
the "Free Culture" generation, it is only a matter of time.  It certainly
has already affected contemporary instrumental guitarists and other
"acoustic" and "folk" genres.
  Inspired by a comment in one of David Tayler's posts "... CDs are dead ...",
I posted a question to the list some time ago, asking peoples' opinion
as to the fate of CDs.  I was a little surprised that NOBODY responded.
Maybe it is considered too "off topic". Although it's not as lute specific as
Kapsberger or 4060 or Nylgut, it will definitely affect all music,
even lute music, and the ability of professional players to make a living.
How will we be buying our recordings 10 years from now?
Or WILL we be buying them?
  I hope everybody on the list will take the time to read the articles linked
in your post - especially the one by Emily White of NPR's "All Songs
Considered".
It is a very telling confession about how an entire generation demographic
between 20 and 40 years of age views buying (or NOT buying) recorded music.
And she's working for National Public Radio!!
    Thanks again,
Tom