Ron, I love your comment on this subject!  :-)

Arto

On 25/06/12 16:13, Ron Andrico wrote:
    I have to say, I'm always amused by these discussions that broadly
    outline the imprint of theoretical measurements on the phenomenon of
    sound.  If we look at all the factors, including thickness and
    stiffness of string material, variability in trueness of dimension,
    interference of temperature and humidity (and probably barometric
    pressure) on the transmission of sound, proximate acoustical
    deflections, damping caused by skin oils, distortion caused by finger
    pressure, variability caused by thickness of fret material, wave
    interference from nut, bridge, soundboard materials, etc.  Then there
    is the phenomenon that different ears hear the pitch differently. Where
    do we stop? I say train your ears and tune to the best of your ability.
    RA
    >  Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 13:24:40 +0100
    >  To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
    >  From: akbut...@tiscali.co.uk
    >  Subject: [LUTE] Re: Tuning
    >
    >  with apologies to those who aren't interested ;-)
    >
    >  For a plucked instrument the finger on the node is removed from the
    string just after the pluck. (otherwise the sound is damped)

    >  Indeed, having sharp harmonics is a property of all strings outside
    the physics lesson, as any piano tuner knows.

    >  Also, if you use an oscilloscope to view the waveform, and hit the
    harmonic partially so that some of the fundamental also sounds, you can
    see the waveform of the harmonic moving against that of the
    fundamental.

    >  For a bowed instrument, I suspect the harmonics are in tune as long
    as the bow is driving the string.

    >  andy
    >
    >  Philip Brown wrote:
    >  >  That may be true, but a more obvious cause would be that the total
    >  >  length of vibrating string is reduced by the width of the area of
    >  >  contact of the finger.
    >  >
    >  >  Cheers
    >  >
    >  >  Philip Brown
    >  >
    >  >  On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM,<willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:
    >  >>  They would be for a perfectly thin flexible string - but string
    stiffness sharpens the higher harmonics.