It is not as simple as that. The die has to be lubricated to pass heated wire, and as I recall brass was too hot for the die, until the discovery that urine could be used for that process. I recall that this is the main argument against pre-1300 musical wire mythology in general.

It took some time to develop wire that was sufficiently uniform for musical purposes (i.e. used by itself, without gut), probably at least another 100+ years.

And if remember correctly the musical wire has to be brass, bronze is too soft and doesn't work.
RT