Dear Franz,
   I went back to the classical guitar after many years, but also wanted
   to continue to play the lute.  I grew my nails out, but found that it
   was too difficult to play the lute with nails from a tone perspective
   as well as concern about damaging the soundboard.
   So, I filed my nails back and adopted a system used by my guitar
   teacher when he breaks a nail.  I buy a pack of false glue on-type
   plastic nails from either the drugstore or beauty supply store and file
   and polish a set to the preferred shape for the p, i, m, a fingernails
   and attach them to my real nails when playing guitar using 0.5 inch
   round permanent glue dots that can be found in stationary supply
   stores.  It helps to wash your hands before attaching them to remove
   natural skin oils so they won't peel off easily during playing.
   Tonally, the sound using the plastic nail is, in my opinion, just as
   good as with the real nail.  Also, they won't come off unless you are
   playing rasgueado with your thumb nail (then just use a piece of first
   aid tape for the thumb nail).  I can tug on the plastic nail and it
   actually feels like my real nail when it's attached with a fresh glue
   dot
   When you're ready to remove them, just rotate them gently away from the
   real nail.  Running your hand under warm water helps to soften the glue
   dot and remove the plastic nails easily - the glue dot will stay on the
   back of the plastic nail.  Because the plastic nails last basically
   forever, I find it much easier to play classical guitar with these
   nails than having to continually shape and polish my real nails.  I
   also never have to worry about breaking a real nail.  The glue dots
   last a couple of weeks before they dry out and need to be replaced.
   That is easily done by using a large diameter needle (I use something
   called a bodkin used in fly tying) to skewer the glue dot and rotate it
   around the needle until it is removed from the back of the fake nail.
   While not in use, I keep them stored in a seven-day pill box with the
   lids labeled p, i, m, and a, along with extra nails and glue dots.
   This system was actually invented by Rico Stover and if you don't want
   to pull the supplies together individually, everything can be ordered
   as a package via Rico's web site:  www.ricoguitarnails.com.  He calls
   it the "Emergency Nail Kit."  I don't know Rico, but I believe my
   teacher got the idea from him.  Hope this helps.
   Best regards,
   Bill Eisele