I had always assumed it was to play better in groups whether instrumentalists,
singers or others just standing around. Less, jabbingly, so to speak. By 1500
tradition cemented the idea in the common mind that that was 'how a lute's
shaped' perhaps in keeping with its history of the oud.

It also keeps the pegs at a common distance from the player and does not
increase the depth of the instrument --unlike the thinner bodied
vihuela/viola/fiddle family. So it does keep the shape  compact. So maybe it
was easier to construct a box before custom cases.

When you set it down on its back it keeps the strings parallel (pre-7c
instruments of course) which may have added to an aesthetic argument. This also
means that when you hang it on a wall, the strings don't collect dust, well,
the playing surfaces, anyway.

Ok, I'm wandering. If the reason isn't physics (and we've seen that
straight-out peg boxes could have worked but were not chosen in the 15th and
most of the 16th centuries), trying to unravel the social and aesthetic reasons
could be complex --a bit of one and two bits of another, as it were.

my cent and a half,
Sean