Keeping the bass string in its groove sounds good to me, Alan. I have a
   ren guitar w/ an issue like that sometimes.

   On Sep 2, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Alan Hoyle wrote:
   My guess was that, in the early days of the lute, string tensions were
   low, particularly in the case of bass strings; by bending them over the
   angle of the neck/pegbox join they would be far less likely to slip out
   of  the nut groove. I also heard the assertion that it increased the
   volume of the strings. I do not know if either suggestion is true,
   either historically of scientifically...
   Alan