   From: Dan Winheld <dwinh...@lmi.net>
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Sent: Wednesday, 26 September 2012, 0:37
   Subject: [LUTE] Best Body Frets?
   A question tossed onto the waves of this Ocean of Lute Wisdom-
   Any consensus regarding the best material for body frets? My woodies
   often sound a little too "woody"- they are some light colored wood, no
   idea what species; and lately I've been knocking them off the
   soundboard. So instead of just regluing them, I wonder if other
   materials might sound better (but still be easily glued, preferably
   with white glue?)
   I can think of ebony, maybe other legal/available tropical or other
   hardwoods, other materials? Ivory-like materials, celluloid, etc? And a
   format that's easy for the workshop-challenged non-luthier to deal
   with. (non-tapered toothpicks, half-round or something of that nature.)
   Thanks, all.
   Dan