To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:53 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Best Body Frets?

William,

While body frets were certainly not standard (Francesco was just one player known for going above the frets, as not doubt was Pietro Bono and others) , they were an option going as far back as the late 15 Century- see Lorenzo Costa's "Concert", ca. 1485-95, National Gallery, London. 3 ebony looking frets right there on the 5 course lute.

Anyway, Not quite the point of my question. Been there, done that. My six course lute was body fretless for decades, and I had zero trouble nailing the notes with perfect intonation, after some practice. In fact, I have a new student who is a violinist. He almost can't stand ANY of the frets- neck and body- interfering with his ability to get the perfect intonation he is used to, and accomplishes very easily by touch/hearing. At least as beginner, he finds them very difficult.

But the necessity of clear, defined singing tone for those last 3, 4, or more semitones takes precedence in the music I am playing on these days. Which is why I put them on my eight course lute, which I was playing without body frets for the first 6 months after I got it- and yes, it is great practice. But the freedom to get really get accurate intonation was trumped but the need for more clearly defined tone. A pity, really, as the 12th fret requires some tricky slanting to get the octave "n" in perfect tune from the first down to the 4th course, then others take their position cues from that fret. And they are not all perfect- compromising happens.

17th century French practice is not 18th century German practice. While Dowland mentions ten tied frets in addition to body frets, 9 seems to have been standard and sufficient for the French virtuosos, but Weiss has you going right up to the octave, and there seem to be quite a number of late swan neck lutes with 14 total frets.

Sam- I wouldn't use that double sticky tape for more than temporary position exploring. I thought it was the cat's pajamas myself for a few weeks, then they started getting knocked around, and the sound (on my lute, of course!) was markedly inferior to properly glued frets. The tape layer that carries the glue creates a barrier to proper sound transmission- already compromised the further up you go- and makes fret thickness sizing more troublesome. Just my experience.

Dan