From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Mark Warren
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:55 PM
To: lute mailing list list
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Chitarrone

One problem with borrowing from biological taxonomy in determining
relationships between lute-like instruments is the possibility of coincidental
similarities. In biology, "convergent evolution" is common:
organisms that evolve in parallel by responding to similar habitats, so that
their shapes or functions end up resembling each other even though they're not
directly related species (birds and bats, for example, or fishes and whales).
Those apparent similarities can be distinguished by genetics and through the
fossil record; establishing a true evolutionary lineage may be much harder to
do with apparently similar musical instruments that emerged in widely separated
cultures.

For instance, is the bouzouki a member of the European lute family, based
solely on the shape of its body and its country of origin? Is the Chinese pipa
related to the Persian oud, or is it in an entirely different lineage that
'converged' to resemble other lute-like instruments around the world? They're
all plucked cordophones with resonating soundboards and necks, for sure, but
attempting a taxonomy much beyond that level of generality may be fraught with
peril...