>    I guess Lutz point would be the old lutenist anticipated (some) ideas
>    of the romantic period.
>    I don't completely agree - because the concept of the "genius" is
>    missing (just to name one element) but it seems true that lute players
>    of the period partly followed concepts which were not common at that
>    time and maybe could be called "romantic".

Not convinced. But, well, there's no need to, because we'll never know,
anyway, how, and if at all, lutenists of old, viewed nativeness, nature,
genius, remoteness, emotionalism  and so on, unless they have explicitly
written about those topics. And they haven't, as far as I'm aware.

And I hasten to add that Playing music by the Bayreuth pack in an empfindsam
manner, is entirely okay with me. But that's a matter of our modern approach
IMO.

Mathias