     From: William Samson <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Chitarrone
     To: "William Samson" <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>, "lute"
     <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Friday, 2 November, 2012, 9:06

      Having reflected on what I said below, it needs to be said that
      instruments - especially extended neck ones, are very expensive.  No
      musician can possibly afford to have one of everything -
   particularly
      as there are instruments whose repertoire can be counted on the
   fingers
      of one hand.  So no blame to musicians who choose to buy mainstream
      instruments.
      I was wondering if there is some kind of 'lending library' or 'hire
      store' anywhere with some of these more obscure types of instrument,
      that a musician could borrow when needed?  I know there is informal
      lending of instruments between musicians so they can be used in gigs
      that need them, but that's a bit hit-or-miss.  Maybe something for
   the
      lute societies to consider?  I know the Lute Society in the UK rents
      out lutes - mostly to people who are saving to buy their own, but a
      collection of more unusual ones for short-term loan would be another
      thing.
      Thoughts?
      Bill