Please look at Samuel Johnson's dictionary published in 1755. It is available
online and lists several meanings of 'decay'. There doesn't seem to be a direct
reference to decomposition during this time. While this isn't the best source
for understanding Mace, Johnson uses earlier sources to back up his definition.

Shaun Ng