   From: Dan Winheld <dwinh...@lmi.net>
   To: William Samson <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>
   Cc: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Friday, 30 November 2012, 19:10
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Gut strings - The elephant in the room
   Bill-
   In fact, some of the string makers are well aware of the stiffness
   factor; and have been trying to cope with it, and are coming up with
   increasingly flexible bass (where of course it matters most) strings. I
   have recently been able to go to an all gut "Pistoy" of Dan Larson for
   the 8th course fundamental of my Renaissance lute. About 63 cm, nominal
   G tenor, AA5, about 1.74 mm diameter string. Very flexible, no problems
   at all tying it around on the bridge, unlike so many previous attempts
   with gut or gut substitute strings of this thickness. And it sounds
   fabulous. With a 9 or 10 course lute of the right size and of this
   quality in string and instrument I would have no hesitation going down
   to the low C fundamental.  I believe Mimmo Peruffo has also been trying
   to tame the elephant.
   Dan