---------- Forwarded message ----------
   From: Sam Chapman <[1]manchap...@gmail.com>
   Date: 2 December 2012 00:38
   Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: Lute bass strings - was Re: Are Pistoys prone
   to rot according to Mace?
   To: Markus Lutz <[2]mar...@gmlutz.de>
   About string holes: I generally use Stoppani plain gut basses at high
   tension (c. 3.5kg) on all my lutes - sometimes I cut the string down to
   size to get it through the hole. Even reducing the width of the string
   by half puts it in no danger of breaking when tuned up to whatever bass
   note it should be at. The cut portion of the string passes through the
   hole and in no way affects the vibrating length of the string. I'm very
   happy with the sound and don't find it any duller than that the loaded
   strings I've tried.
   All the best,
   Sam