> if memory serves, we have been talking about one interesting question of
interpreting
> German tabulature: when (especially) Hans Newsidler repeated a short note
after
> longer one, did he really mean repeating the pluck, or did he thus just in
this way
> express a note with a dot? Did he mean just a tie?
>
> An example (translated to French tabulature) (use monospace!):
>
>    |\       |\\   |\
>    |        |     |
>    |        |     |
> __a_____a__a__c__d_______
> _____|______________|____
> _____|__b________b__|____
> __c__|__c________c__|____ ...
> _____|______________|____
> _____|______________|____
>

> So, should or shouldn't the top string third a be plucked or not? I vote
that you should
> not repeat the pluck!

If you look at the final clause (5 t 5), you will see that Newsidler knew
and wrote held notes. I take that as an argument against the notion that he
wrote a note but didn't mean it to be played but to be held. Another
argument might be that if you omit the "repeated" note you can hardly
explain why you hit the following treble note with the index, and that is an
important matter in his method. So I vote for playing the "repeated" note.

Mathias